Tuesday, October 23, 2018

10/23/18 Development Update

Hello and welcome back to another update for my game Hero Soul!

This week's focus has been on a procedurally generating a story. So, I've really been working on the structure of this task. Here's what I've come up with. I chose to work with the framework of the way levels were procedurally generated. This meaning, the story elements will be generated based off of how the map is generated.

Every time a player enters a level, normally what happens is that an algorithm runs and generates a new level. Using that, I am planning to have that algorithm also choose an event to theme the level off of and then generate the level using that theme. For instance, the scenario I am currently working on is a sort of invasion sort of thing. The event if chosen as the theme of the level will require the player to collect a few objects in order to uncover a story that occurred. Using the level generating algorithm a few rooms will be selected to become the level's quest objective rooms. Here's an example below:
Quest rooms will now randomly generate in levels marked with an exclamation mark.

Hopefully this will create a sort of random story that will be different enough to remain fun. :)

I also wanted to introduce a sort of morality system along with the procedural story. It really stemmed from the idea of "I think we're the baddies". The system works like this: With all the procedural quests there will be multiple ways to complete them. Each way to complete conforms to an hero trait archetype. At the end of the game the accumulation of the all the decisions the player has made will affect the ending of the game. So really, if you play your character as an "anti-hero" you will have that realization that you are the bad guy at the end of the game.

Anyways that's what I have for this week. Stay tuned for more progress into this idea!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hero Soul: I want to be a Hero!

Hello! My name is Ryan and I am making this blog to document and show off a game I am working on tentatively called  Hero Soul: I want to be...