Tuesday, September 25, 2018

9/25/18 Development Update

Hi and welcome back to another development update for the game Hero Soul!

So I'd like to start this update with a revisit to the state system of the game. I've added some more interesting states that I hope will spice up the game more. Before states were really just stat buffs or debuffs granting stats or dealing damage over time. I felt that they were kind of boring so I've added a few more that change the way you must play. Here's an example of one, blindness, which makes it so you can only see in a little circle around you for some time. I'd love to think of more interesting state moving forward.



This week I also chose to tackle something that I have been procrastinating on for quite some time now, the rune and rune forging system. But before I get into that, I also chose to update the Arcana selection UI. For some time now, I have felt that the old UI for this system was a bit difficult to use with many needless buttons and gizmos. Hopefully now it is easy to figure out how to use.


Moving on to the Rune system there is still more work that needs to be put into it however a few things that have been causing me trouble have been implemented. The first is the card statistics and how they are displayed to the player. I wanted the UI for this to be purely visual and not just a comparison of numbers. So, the right of the card you are editing you will see the statistics for the card. As of now, the cards only display damage, velocity and knockback as statistics but I plan to expand and change this based on the card type.


This leads me to my second change. One of the reason I have procrastinated on working on this system was that the idea behind runes was that any rune could be used with any spells. This led to many conflicts because some spell effects simply did not work with other. For example a rune that caused the spell to home in on targets does not work with spells that grant players buffs. Because of that problem I had to reconsider how the system would function. So now, I've subdivided runes to only work with certain spell types I have implemented in the game. Some examples of spell types include projectile spells, targeted spells and buffing spells which each have runes that will work with them.

There still needs to be more work put into the system but I can say that it feels good to get over this hump and I am excited about how awesome this system is turning out to be! That's it for this week, I'll keep you guys posted on new fun advancements!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hero Soul: I want to be a Hero!

Hello! My name is Ryan and I am making this blog to document and show off a game I am working on tentatively called  Hero Soul: I want to be...