Wednesday, September 19, 2018

9/19/18 Development Update

Hi and welcome back to another development update for Hero Soul!

This weeks has been a big step forward in terms of development. The first major stride was the addition of the change remnant feature of the Hero Soul. The Hero Soul, for those who do not remember, is the modular talent tree system that players have access to while they play the game. Before it was not possible to reassign a talent on a specific tier when it was already selected. I felt that this was restrictive and did not promote experimentation with the interplay of talents, so now you are able to change the specific remnant on each tier as seen below.



Next off I worked a lot on the implementation of consumable items. Before, I cut work on the Alchemy system of the game because I found it too complicated and unneeded when paired with the other systems in the game. However this left a void in potion choice, with players stuck with the default healing and mana potions in the shortcuts for potion use. With the implementation of consumables, those shortcuts have been changed to accept any type of consumable. Following that health and mana potions now fit into the consumable item category. So now, instead of receiving x amount of health potions and x amount mana potions at the start of every level, players will need to keep their inventories stocked with the necessary potions for their adventures. This was a fun transition for me since it opened the design space for items from just being potions to all sorts of fun usable items such as bombs seen below.


Finally to wrap the update up, this week also brought much work to the 2nd level out the planned 5 levels of the game. I did a lot of work on implementing enemy AI so they are more interactive and challenging as well redoing much of the level design of the level entirely. Below is an example of a changed room for the level. Moving forward I want to further polish this.


That't it for this week! I'll have another update on the development next week.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hero Soul: I want to be a Hero!

Hello! My name is Ryan and I am making this blog to document and show off a game I am working on tentatively called  Hero Soul: I want to be...