Sunday, February 11, 2018

2/11/18 Development Update

Hi and welcome back to another weekly update for my game, Hero Soul! First I'd like to thank everyone who made it out on Tuesday to playtest my game at the Playcrafting Winter Expo! I had a lot of fun talking with you guys!

For this week, I chose to focus on adding game controller support to my game. This is because during the expo I noticed that many people were not used to using the keyboard and mouse. So, as of thee end of this week many of the actions you can do now with the keyboard and mouse can now be done with an XBox 360 controller. This was actually a pretty fun thing to do, as I've never worked with the controller in Unity before and it was quite interesting learning how it worked.



For the most part, converting the movement controls and the combat were not very difficult, however when thinking how to convert the game mechanics such as certain Arcana Cards' effects or using the inventory menu was an interesting problem I had fun solving. For instance for Arcana cards that use the mouse to aim, you can now also use the right joystick to aim on the Xbox controller. However, as mentioned earlier I found that converting the inventory system I had currently had in place a challenge when converting to the controller, and this ate up most of my time this week. Though after struggling with it for a bit, I am proud to say that using the controller to navigate the inventory and other menus works if not better that with the mouse, but I'll let the player decide that one.

Overall, most of the things you can do in game can now be controlled with the gamepad, however there is still quite of bit of testing ahead of me to fully integrate the controller support. Please look forward to more updates regarding this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hero Soul: I want to be a Hero!

Hello! My name is Ryan and I am making this blog to document and show off a game I am working on tentatively called  Hero Soul: I want to be...