Sunday, February 4, 2018

2/4/18 Development Update


Welcome to another development update. For this week, along with testing and tuning of the quest and Soul systems, I focused on preparing the game for playtesting during the Playcrafting Winter Expo this Tuesday.

So first up, the sprite work I had requested was completed. This involves the addition of attack animations for the main character, though, the special attack still needs to be animated. The goal of this switch from the old attack animations to the new ones is because I thought it was awkward seeing the weapon sprite animate whereas the player sprite remained static. I hope this will make combat have more weight behind it and moving forward I want to animate more attacks.

Next up, I made changes to how Arcana Cards are discovered. Originally, cards were discovered 1 at a time, randomly, at Arcana Fonts that spawn in dungeons. The problem with this design is that it was kind of unfulfilling and highly based on randomness. So to remedy this, Arcana Fonts will now display 3 random cards, and players will then choose the one they want and in addition to unlocking the card, will receive 1 copy of the card. Like the previous iteration, cards will still be random, so you can still receive repeats of cards you already own, however now you will have some agency when building your deck as well as lessening the impact of getting repeat cards.



Finally, as I mentioned in previous posts, I've begun working on the new zone. Partially this is because showing off the forest every week is kind of getting bland but also to assist in the implementation of dungeon hazards. In order to spice dungeons up, aside from killing things I want to mix things up adding small puzzles or hazards in addition to killing enemies. For example in the cave level, some rooms will have a bat swarm hazard in which periodically areas will be swarmed by bats, hindering the player's movement. Hopefully through the implementation of these hazards new avenues of play which will emphasize good positioning.

That's it for this week! I'm excited to get people's opinion during the event this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hero Soul: I want to be a Hero!

Hello! My name is Ryan and I am making this blog to document and show off a game I am working on tentatively called  Hero Soul: I want to be...